You might have read and enjoyed her articles on our blog on what to gift your man or how to get flawless skin, but one thing is for sure; Dolon Chowdhury knows how to turn anything from dull to fab. And when in doubt, her weapon of choice is a red lipstick. After all, she does run her own beauty blog called Pout Pretty where she doles out advice on beauty products, what to buy and what to avoid. In our exclusive conversation with her, she revealed some of her beauty and style tricks especially for you.
1. Tell us a bit about yourself. How did you become a beauty blogger?
I am a Service Level Management professional in Kolkata currently working in an international bank. When I’m not working, I’m writing articles on makeup and beauty for my blog Pout Pretty. Honestly, I never really thought that I would be a beauty blogger even say six months back. Even though I’ve always been a huge beauty and make-up enthusiast, had felt that maintaining a blog would just be too much of an effort. But then I started reading a lot of blogs and thought why not give it a try and see how it goes? That’s basically how Pout Pretty started – at 3.00 am in the morning after a long, hard day at work! It was an impulsive decision but something I’m really happy to have taken.
2. What’s your inspiration behind creating poutpretty?
To connect with like-minded people who share the same passion for make-up and beauty as I do.
3. Would you consider blogging a full time profession? What advice would you like to people who would like to do, what you do?
As much as I would like to be a full-time blogger, I don’t see that happening in India very soon. Blogging is still in its early stage of recognition as an alternative profession and will take quite some time to develop. Till that time, enjoy blogging!
4. What’s the best beauty advice you ever received?
When in doubt, wear red lipstick! Works for me every time!
5. As beauty writer, if you had to give one most crucial tip to your readers, what would it be?
Less is more. Wearing too much make-up causes early aging of the skin. It applies to skincare as well. When you use a lot of products, the combination of irritants and fragrances can do you more harm than good.
6. If you had to invest in one crucial beauty item, what would it be? And why?
A good concealer; It’s the quickest and easiest way to get a flawless skin.
7. Who do you take style inspirations from?
From anything and everything around me; Movies, Magazines, Fashion designers, blogs. My style icons – Audrey Hepburn, Kate Moss, Nicole Richie, Sabyasachi Mukherjee
8. Do you think the flourishing e-commerce segment in India is the cause of heightened sense of fashion amongst masses? How do you personally like to shop?
Absolutely. The explosion of shopping websites and blogs has made fashion much more accessible to the masses. Personally, I prefer to go out shopping. It’s a great feel good factor. But I also do a lot of online shopping as well simply because it’s convenient and I get good deals.
9. Do you like shopping from Pepperfry? What are some of favorite items from the site?
I love shopping from Pepperfry because I get very good discounts on products of high quality. Skincare and Makeup items are my favorites.
10. Lastly, accessories versus makeup. What would you choose?
Oh my that’s a tough one! If I really had to choose one, would go for make-up because it makes me look and feel good, confident and allows me to be creative.