Over the years, outdoor spaces have evolved from being a grassy hangout for kids and pets to the ideal place for relaxation and get-togethers.
While the idea of transforming your outdoor area into a functional and relaxing space is no doubt exciting, it can also be daunting. This is especially true if you don’t know how to go about it.
Get your outdoor project off to a good start by taking the following practical tips into consideration:
- Unknown to many, the right amount of light can help dramatically create a cosy and inviting ambiance during evenings. In line with this, it will be best if you steer clear of harsh spotlights and other similar lighting fixtures. Instead, go for subtle lighting alternatives like candles, fire pits and hanging lanterns.
- In addition, if you want to enhance the appeal of water features or any decorative elements in your outdoor living space, look into situating your lighting fixtures in strategic places. Also, keep in mind that less is always more so make sure you do not overdo anything in this area.
- Just like any space in your home, you can easily transform your outdoor living area into an inviting sanctuary of comfort and relaxation by adding the right accessories. If you are in the mood to splurge, you can look into adding sculptures or interesting paintings.
- If you want to keep accessories minimal however, adding patterned throw pillows, decorative candleholders, and ornamental flowers would suffice.
- During the day, your outdoor living space will require the necessary protection from the elements. Many homeowners install outdoor awnings to effectively address this concern.
- Apart from helping enhance the visual appeal of your property, tall potted plants can also be used to block some of the sun’s rays. However, if you have a large area to cover, having a pergola installed is your best recourse.
- Since outdoor living spaces often double as the ideal gathering place for get-togethers with loved ones and friends, plenty of seating space is considered a requisite. Look into using ottomans or benches to encourage conversations especially during parties or gatherings.
- If comfort is a top priority, adding armchairs, hammocks and swings will help you achieve your objective. You can also make use of sofas as they are deemed ideal for lounging.
Adding an outdoor living area is often likened to building a property extension sans the inconvenience a major construction entails. And just like any property project, planning is considered a key component. Get the planning aspect down pat and you’ll be enjoying your dream outdoor area in no time.